Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Miserable Heat!





So, for the last week and a half it has been Ridiculously hot!! Supposedly we made CNN the other day about our record breaking heat here in Bulgaria. Apparently it is hotter here than it has been in 112 years. All I know is that I and my plants are dying(refer to picture)! (i think the marigolds might make it but I'm not counting on it) My little fan runs all day and all night and showers a day average 3! Last week when I had volunteers here for my second camp, we moved my stove out to my balcony so the heat stays outside, so I've been cooking out there IN the heat, nice huh. Oh and I've started using my distiller on my balcony as well, because it creates a ton of heat AND for four hours!!! Good thing I have electrical outlets out there!

I'm just really glad that this wasn't a week we had camp....last week, some of the days the kids (and a certain male volunteer) complained about the heat but I stayed out there and showed them up while they sat in the shade. :) I'm waiting to get pics from the other volunteers. I don't have a lot b/c I stay so involved with the kids or keeping things on track that I forget to take pictures usually. Camp went really well though, we had about 20-25 kids each day and they had a blast. They love Twister and our American Football "game" turned into football/soccer, haha! the pics above are from this second camp...

But after camp was over on Friday, I and another friend Karlan AKA Jelly, hopped on a train to head out to Burgas to go to the beach with two of our other friends. We got on the train and stopped in Stara Zagora, an hour an a half out of Plovdiv, where our friend Melanie joined us. From there we stood the whole time in the aisle holding the window open b/c it was way too hot to sit, and enjoyed some semi-cold "beverages" Mel picked up at the train station. We stayed like that for the next 2 1/2 hours or so. The whole way out to Burgas you see fields and fields of sunflowers, it's really beautiful. We got to Burgas where we met our 4th member of the group, Grace who lives just outside of Burgas. She met us at a restaurant outside of the train station where she had salads and french fries and a cold beer waiting for us! We then took a 40 min bus ride to her town for the night and took the same bus back into Burgas at 11 the next morning ready to go directly to the beach! We stayed out there for the afternoon, swimming, tanning, playing frisbee on the beach and eating pizza and taking in water like it was air, oh the crazy heat! The water was great and they had umbrellas out for you to use and only had to pay 1 Lev for them IF the money taker even made it to your umbrella....can't find that in America! That night we had awesome Chinese food for dinner. Next day, Jell and Mel and I headed for the train station and picking up lunch on the way, a "pancake" (crepe) filled with some chocolate cream, like nutella for those of you who know what that is, and banana's, oh it was heaven! Boarded the train and slept most of the time in the unbearable heat yet again. All i wanted after a weekend of non-stop heat was to walk into a cool, even semi-cool, I'm not picky, apartment and sleep comfortably for once....well that does NOT exist here, so i walked in dropped my bags and took a freezing cold shower and tried to sleep and not be miserable. But the beach was great overall, a nice cap to end a week of camp!

No comments: