Friday, September 14, 2007

25 year record of NO cavities, ENDED






WELL, x-rays prove it, they just confirm my fear of my sensitive tooth and the idea of it resulting from a cavity! BUT, we're talkin one HUGE cavity, the one I feared though had no idea it would be that big, and a small one just another tooth away!! :/
Well I made my scheduled trip to Sofia for my mid-service dental appointment, stayed the night Wednesday night and came back to Plovdiv Thursday evening. There happen to be a couple of other volunteers I know and am friends with in Sofia the same time so we had our "free" mediocre pasta dinner at the hostel and then headed out to get a drink or two on the town. They took me to a bar they knew of that I had never been to. They all call it the candle bar. This place was so cool....it is off the sidewalk down behind a building and there is no sign, no marking for the place, you don't happen across this kind of place, you find out about it by mouth from someone who knows about it. It's a small square one room spot and there are candles everywhere and a cement staircase to a upper wooden floor table area. What's cool about it, is it is supposedly the location of where the first Communist Bulgarian paper was printed!

Other news, apparently there is to be a teacher strike country wide. School officially starts this Saturday with the kids coming to school and there is some kind of celebration or activities with the teachers and kids. From what I read, Saturday will still happen but not all day and they are planning on holding classes all next week, the first official week of school and then after that, they are striking and not holding classes. NOW, this is what I read from Peace Corps but have yet to confirm what exactly might happen at my particular schools. I'll find out today when I can get in touch with my counterpart. Just crazy....it's amazing how worldwide it is, that teachers are always dumped on! If there is a strike where they don't plan to officially hold classes I'll still try and meet with the kids even if it's just to hang out at a cafe in the neighborhood!
The 26th I am going to go and be apart of a panel for the new trainees in Dupnitsa, the city my group had our hub trainings as well. Unfortunately getting there and back isn't a one day thing, due to the mountains it takes a day and a half...well and that has to do with timing and logistics of the panel discussion as well. Anyway, my point is if i don't have school officially it will make it easier for me to participate and be gone two nights for this Minority Panel. It's a panel with volunteers who specifically work with minorities. I was on the panel for the last training group and it went good, so we'll give it another try. This new training group are called the B22's since they are the 22nd group of pcv's to be in Bulgaria (I'm in the B20 group).

here's some pics for your viewing enjoyment....these are from when some of our friends came into Plovdiv for the September 6th holiday and some of them ran in the half marathon.
That would be Emily crossing the "finish" line and off in the distance cheering her on is Mike who had crossed right before her. Those are random youngins on the walking street here doing what the love. And yes, that would be me and my friend Jelly workin it, karaoking to Journey! right before I sang Tracy Chapman with Emily! haha, ahh great times!! :)

No comments: